It’s a little gray and wet outdoors today so we enjoyed time with friends indoors at the local Mac Donald’s play area. . As we drove home I thought wow I’m glad the kids got sometime to run out there energy because its starting to rain harder. I had to laugh at myself when we walked inside because as soon as we got into the door the kids headed for the back door with umbrellas to enjoy the rain. As you can see by the picture they enjoyed a nice cup of hot coco outside. I share these things because it reminds me of how much I think I need to entertain the kids when I don’t. It also reminds me of what I read once in a book by Ted Tripp called “Hints for Parents”
“Do we regularly cultivate higher and nobler principles than the love of earth? If our children are taught that the great business of men is to heap up wealth, attain honors, and enjoy human life, what will be the probable end of their careers? (Colossians 3:23; Matthew 25)
If we would train them up for usefulness and heaven, they must often be reminded to put a low estimate upon every thing beneath the sun. They must not be shielded from the world, but instead taught how vain and empty a thing it is.
The sooner a child can see that there is a higher object of pursuit than his own advancement, that there are more elevated and enduring joys than the sordid and transitory pleasures of time and sense, the sooner he will bear fruit unto eternal life. The sooner he sees that even thought he may attain popularity, power and wealth and yet be filled with disappointment and sorrow, the more quickly he is prepared for eternal usefulness.”
After rereading this it reminds me of what I read a couple days ago in Gen. 2:15
“The Lord God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and keep it.” This was said before Adam and Eve sinned. (Also showed this to the kids that morning)
One more set of verses that also comes to mind is: Ecc. 1:1-8
The words of the Preacher, the son of David, king in Jerusalem .
Vanity of vanities, says the Preacher,
vanity of vanities! All is vanity.
What does man gain by all the toil
at which he toils under the sun?
A generation goes, and a generation comes,
but the earth remains forever.
The sun rises, and the sun goes down,
and hastens to the place where it rises.
The wind blows to the south
and goes around to the north;
around and around goes the wind,
and on its circuits the wind returns.
All streams run to the sea,
but the sea is not full;
to the place where the streams flow,
there they flow again.
All things are full of weariness;
a man cannot utter it;
the eye is not satisfied with seeing,
nor the ear filled with hearing.
vanity of vanities! All is vanity.
What does man gain by all the toil
at which he toils under the sun?
A generation goes, and a generation comes,
but the earth remains forever.
The sun rises, and the sun goes down,
and hastens to the place where it rises.
The wind blows to the south
and goes around to the north;
around and around goes the wind,
and on its circuits the wind returns.
All streams run to the sea,
but the sea is not full;
to the place where the streams flow,
there they flow again.
All things are full of weariness;
a man cannot utter it;
the eye is not satisfied with seeing,
nor the ear filled with hearing.

4 comments:
Awe yes! So beautiful Karen! What a job we have as mothers to continue to help them see the vanity in this world...And all of satisfaction can only be found in the Hope of Jesus! May God continue to open their eyes as we train them so that they can serve Him and find joy in eternity!
Thank you so much for typing up what Tedd Tripp had said...that it a reminder that I needed...and one that is very fitting in light of the "stuff" they just got for Christmas!!!!
This is really a beautiful post. Life is really not about money. I am not a mama yet, but I can't imagine the responsibility. Or maybe I can.
Thanks for visiting my blog.
You haven't posted in a about 3 weeks. I miss you! Hope you'll be back soon. :)
Post a Comment