Saturday, July 3, 2010

Preparing for the 4th of July


Ayla had a wonderful idea to make some things for the 4th of July. So this morning right after breakfast she got to work and everyone else joined in.
Ayla is showing one of 5 flags, neck less, and bracelet that she made for her friends and sibling to wear during the fireworks. She was very thoughtful to include Holly and Liam too. It's such a blessing to see her desire to put others first.




Holly spent her time making a butterfly's and a flag. It was a struggle for her to make a butterfly and she spent some time in tears because she didn't think she could do it good enough. We ended up talking together about how we need to be thankful that God has given us hands to work with. After we spent sometime in prayer she seemed to cheer up.






Silas had his own idea going on in his head this morning. Ended up emptying all the things off the game shelf in the garage and found the spin and paint. While I filled the paint bottles for him he found some pom poms to put into the spinner. Liam kept telling him that he couldn't do it because that wasn't what it was for.
Once Silas got started painting he didn't want to stop and Liam kept wanting a turn so we had some sharing teaching moments.



Silas eyes filled with tears and he wanted to have another turn. It seems like the boys are leather playing well or having a battle over something.

One funny thing the kids and I discovered is that when the spinner is on and you take a picture you can see your painting. Usually you just keep it spinning and then you see the picture at the end. Their is something new to learn everyday.
It was so much fun this morning to do some art together that I think I'm going to plan it into our schedule. Like one Saturday a month do a family art project or art time. I really enjoyed this special time with the kids this morning.

After the boys went down for a nap the girls and I enjoyed a movie. As we watched it I had to explain some things that weren't true. We talked about who wrote the movie and what they believe in because of how it was written. Ayla said mom the person who wrote it could be a believer??? I then asked her that if that was true then a believer would want to write about Christ and not about something false. She responded by say yes that is true. And we talked about how even the devil believes in God and that he likes it when people are happy to not believe in God. Although I'm tired, I'm thanking God for the many teaching moments that he brought my way today. It's amazing what you see when you write and reflect on it.
The girls asked what the 4th of July was all about so we read about it before bed. And we found out that the first 4th of July took place 234 years ago. (July 4, 1776)

Without the gospel everything is useless and vain

“Without the gospel everything is useless and vain; without the gospel we are not Christians; without the gospel all riches is poverty, all wisdom folly before God; strength is weakness, and all the justice of man is under the condemnation of God.

But by the knowledge of the gospel we are made children of God, brothers of Jesus Christ, fellow townsmen with the saints, citizens of the Kingdom of Heaven, heirs of God with Jesus Christ, by whom the poor are made rich, the weak strong, the fools wise, the sinner justified, the desolate comforted, the doubting sure, and slaves free. It is the power of God for the salvation of all those who believe.”

—John Calvin, preface for Pierre Robert Olivétan’s 1534 French translation of the New Testament

1 comment:

For His Glory said...

I love how GOd gives us those moments for teaching when we leats expect it :)...They are there if we are only looking for them too! Loved to see all those fun pics